1. Identify and discuss how the workings of the United States Supreme Court help to advance the development of civil rights and liberties over time. Include a discussion of its most significant decisions.
2. Trace the development of the freedom of speech over time, include an examination of key judicial interpretations.
3. Trace the development of the rights of the accused over time, include an examination of key judicial interpretations.
4. Trace the development of the rights of different minority groups over time, include an examination of key judicial interpretations.
5. Identify and discuss how the Fourteenth Amendment and the doctrine of selective incorporation have been used to extend protection of rights and liberties.
6. Identify and discuss the strengths and weaknesses of Supreme Court decisions as tools of social change.
Activities & Assignments
Civil Rights v Civil Liberties doc Civil Rights Discussion Fundamental Freedoms Background Essays doc 1 & doc 2 Attitude Inventory doc Fundamental Freedoms? doc Incorporation Cases doc Balancing Rights doc It's a Free Country video It's a Free Country doc Civil Rights & LIberties SCOTUS cases worksheet Civil Rights & Liberties SCOTUS cases answer key Civil Rights & Liberties Review doc *** Civil Rights & Liberties student summary PPT is in Google Classroom